Studying sounds of the everyday︎︎︎
This exercise is good for observation as well as generating ideas for a sound-based work.
- Seperate, find a space by yourself, either inside or outside, and sit down with a notebook.
- Listen and write down all sounds you hear for anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour.
- Observe things such as texture of sound, pitch, direction.
- Try to not list the source but rather the sound itself.
- If possible, do this exercise twice. Once in a busy location and once in a quiet one (ie. a stairwell).
- Return to your group and share your findings.
- Discuss the most prominent sounds, the most subtle, the most mysterious.
- What did you think about while listening to the sounds? What did you discover?
︎︎︎from Linnea Gwiazda